There are many reasons we decided to farm hemp this year. Most of those reasons probably match your reasons; medicine, money…the love for the plant.
But one of my motivating factors was to help make my boys men. You see, I (Dustin) have two boys; 13 and 11. They are really great kids. For the most part, they do what they are told, behave respectfully, and are just all around good kids.
One of the problems you see more and more, is that some of the younger generation just hasn’t been taught how to work hard, and take pride in their work.
For me, I see farming hemp as an opportunity for my kids. It is an opportunity for them to earn some money, problem solve, operate machinery, and get a little dirt under their fingernails.
And I will say, both kids stepped up to the task in ways I didn’t expect. The day we laid plastic, it was Albert, Gabe, the kids and me. They learned the operation, and were an integral part of getting the job done. In fact, it would have been tough to get the job done without them. Kinda seems weird to say, but true.
They worked long days transplanting, and have spend many hours walking the rows, picking weeds, and foliar spraying. I’m really proud at how they have stepped up to the task, and done quality work.
Not only do they get to work hard, but they get to have fun doing it! My kids have got to ride quads, use tools, drive a tractor, and on our day off, we got to shoot guns on the property! A lot of this is a new experience for them, and they would not have had the opportunities without the farm.
We finished planting all the plants today. Knocked them out in 3 days! It was definiely a slow process with a few long days, but I am proud and thankful for everyone who came and helped.
Albert’s family helped on the first day. We got 22 rows done, in about 10 hours.
The reason it took extra long is because we had a team of 6-8 people behind the planters that were diligent to scoop handfuls of soil on the plastic for each plant. It was important to help the plastic stay down during windy periods.
After the first day of planting, we actually discovered that we didn’t scoop enough soil on the plastic. When the winds came, some of the plastic in rows 1 and 2 came up and smothered some of our new seedlings.
We made sure to make a correction with more soil on the plastic moving forward.
We got an early start (about 6am) on day 2, so that Rachel and my mom could help before work. I was also able to recruit the Box family. Day 2: 20 rows.
On day 3, the Box family came out again and brought a few homeschool kids. They were a HUGE help, and were able to knock out the rest of the plants (29 rows).
The plants were getting hammered by the wind and colder temperatures yesterday. Some of them are bent over, and a small percentage didn’t make it. But the majority are holding on and look pretty strong.
Unfortunately, we still have 4 empty rows. We are going to pick up about 500 more plants from Jeff Whitaker. Hopefully we can find more plants to fill up our empty rows.
It is pretty exciting to see all the plants in the ground. I’m really thankful for everyone that helped out. Looking forward to the coming weeks!